How To Deal With A Negative Internal Voice
How do you deal with negative emotions that surface when you’re stressed or hurt? This is a common problem that many people face. Well, we can tell you one thing for sure – suppressing your emotions is not the right thing to do.
It’s important to attend to these emotions and then take steps to let them go. Here’s what we suggest.
Understand Your Emotions
Look within and try to pinpoint the situations that are creating the stress and negative emotions in your life.
- Identify where your negative emotions can come from; a triggering event – an event from the past; maybe your workload, for example.
- Negative emotions are also the result of our thoughts surrounding an event; the way we interpret what happened can alter the way we respond to it.
Change What You Can
Defend yourself from stress triggers because you are stronger than you think. You’ll find yourself feeling negative emotions less frequently.
Find an Outlet
Making the right changes in your life can help you cut down on negative emotions. You will also need to find healthy outlets for dealing with these emotions.
- Regular exercise can provide an emotional boost whenever you need it.
- Meditation can help you find some mental space, so you can better process events.
- Finding opportunities for having fun and getting more laughter can help lift your mood so you have the momentary strength to deal with situations.
If you’re feeling angry or frustrated too frequently, this can be a signal that something needs to change; and if you don’t, it will affect your emotional health.
Find a few outlets that will help you overcome these emotions, and you’ll feel less overwhelmed when negative emotions do arise.